At the end of the Hell’s Paradise: Jigokuraku property from Yuji Kaku when the series drew to a close in Japan back in January 2021, we learned that a new anime adaptation was coming for it with plans for it to be a TV series. With the series set for a spring 2023 debut, we already know that multiple services will be streaming it in Japan while Crunchyroll will be handling it overseas outside of Asia.
The series saw an April 1st, 2023 debut and now with the fourth episode coming up on April 22nd, 2023, the official site has dropped a quick preview of what to expect.
Kaori Makita will be directing it based on the series composition by Akira Kindaichi. Koji Hisaki is on board handling the character designs.
The Japanese cast includes:
- Chiaki Kobayashi as Gabimaru
- Yumiri Hanamori as Yamada-asaemon Sagiri
- Ryohei Kimura as Aza Chōbei
- Kensho Ono as Yamada-asaemon Tōma
- Rie Takahashi as Yuzuriha
- Tetsu Inada as Tamiya Gantetsusai
- Aoi Ichikawa as Yamada-asaemon Fuchi
- Chikahiro Kobayashi as Yamada-asemon Shion
- Yusuke Kobayashi as Yamada-asaemon Tenza
- Makoto Koichi as Nurugai
- Daiki Yamashita as Yamada-asaemon Senta
- Makoto Furukawa as Eizen Yamada-asaemon
- Volcano Ota as Yamaada-asaemon Genji
- Toki Shunichi as Yamada-asaemon Kishou
The show has Ringo Sheena and Millennium Parade handling the opening theme song “WORK” while the ending theme song has not yet been revealed.
Check out the official site and Twitter.
Plot Concept: The series focuses on Gabimaru, once exalted as the strongest ninja, but who has now quit his trade, violating the laws of his village. After being captured, he claims he has nothing left to live for. However, due to his superhuman levels of training, he has inadvertently survived multiple executions, from attempts at beheading to burning at the stake. The executioner Sagiri Asaemon tells him that he has a lingering attachment to life, and issues him a mission to win his acquittal: to find the elixir of immortality.
Previous promos and visuals: