Netflix has a lot going on with creator Mark Millar and one project that’s coming up pretty well is an adaptation of the Jupiter’s Legacy comic book series. The show revealed the first seven actors cast in it and has described their characters way back in the summer of 2019 but it’s mostly been quiet in terms of casting or news since then. The only thing that happened, which was significant, was that Sang Kyu Kim became the showrunner replacing Steven S. DeKnight, who wrote and directed the first episode and worked on the first half of the series before departing over creative differences.
EArlier this year, we got the teaser that revealed a May 7th, 2021 debut for it. We had no footage in the first one while the second was a comic to screen piece without really giving us story or context. Now, a month until the show premieres, Netflix has dropped a three-minute trailer that sets the course for what should be one of – if not the – best superhero shows of 2021. Check it out below.
Initial character descriptions include:
- Josh Duhamel plays Sheldon Sampson (The Utopian), the storied leader of the superhero team The Union. But times have changed, and he doesn’t understand the world we live in anymore. Or his own family.
- Ben Daniels is Walter Sampson (Brain-Wave), Sheldon’s older brother. A man of vast intellect and cunning who, unlike Sheldon, isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty. Or bloody.
- Leslie Bibb portrays Grace Sampson (Lady Liberty), Sheldon’s wife and one of the most powerful heroes on the planet. She doesn’t always agree with Sheldon, but strives to balance his ideals with the reality of the modern, often violent, world they live in.
- Elena Kampouris is Chloe Sampson, Grace and Sheldon’s daughter. Rejecting everything her parents stand for, Chloe has forged her own hedonistic path far away from them. A path that threatens to go against everything her parents have sworn to protect.
- Andrew Horton plays Brandon Sampson, Grace and Sheldon’s son. In training to assume the mantle of The Utopian and become the new leader of The Union, he struggles to live up to his father’s mythic legend.
- Mike Wade is Fitz Small, (The Flare), the heart and soul of The Union. Despite suffering injuries that ended his career as a superhero, he continues to be one of the most valued members of the team. And is often the only thing holding them together in the face of an increasingly hostile world.
- Matt Lanter portrays George Hutchence (Skyfox), Sheldon Sampson’s closest friend and ally before turning against him and the rest of his teammates in The Union. Now considered the greatest supervillain in the world, George plots his revenge on the teammates he believes betrayed him.
Plot Concept: The series follows the world’s first generation of superheroes who received their powers in the 1930s. Now, in present day, they are the revered elder guard, but their superpowered children struggle to live up to the legendary feats of their parents.