We’ve seen several series resurface in the last few years that came out ages ago that are now getting new and updated adaptations and billing themselves as complete adaptations as the original source material was ongoing when they first aired. The latest one to get this nod is a very popular property with Shaman King being revealed as on track this past June. With plans for an April 2021 debut, the official site has updated with three new cast additions you can see below and their visuals further down.
The series has Joji Furuta directing it based on the scripts overseen by Shoji Yonemura. Satohiko Sano is handling the character design adaptation with studio Bridge working on the production itself.
The newly added cast includes:
- Nana Mizuki as Tamao Tamamura (returning from 2001 anime)
- Takumu Miyazono as Ponchi (previously voiced by Kenyuu Horiuchi)
- Noriaki Kanze as Konchi (previously voiced by Tsutomu Kashiwakura)
The previously revealed actors include:
- Yoko Hikasa as Yoh Asakura
- Katsuyuki Konishi as Amidamaru
- Megumi Hayashibara as Anna Kyoyama
- Minami Takayama as Hao Asakur
- Inuko Inuyama as Manta Oyamada
- Romi Park as Tao Ren
- Kousuke Takaguchi as Bason
- Masahiko Tanaka as Ryunosuke Umemiya
- Wataru Takagi as Tokagerō
- Yūji Ueda as Horohoro (returning actor)
- Megumi Nakajima as Kororo
- Michiko Neya as Tao Jun (returning from 2001 anime)
- Tooru Sakurai as Lee Pailong (previously voiced by Nobutoshi Canna)
— 『SHAMAN KING』プロジェクト公式 (@SHAMANKING_PR) January 20, 2021
The original work was created by Hiroyuki Takei which ran for 35 volumes and spawned a TV series back in 2001.
Viz Media originally licensed and released the manga in North America but it looks like Kodansha Comics holds that one now.
Plot Concept: A battle is about to begin in Tokyo: the Shaman Fight, a tournament held every five hundred years where shaman—those who can command spirits—confront each other in combat. The victor of this contest becomes the Shaman King and the only one who is able to contact and control the Great Spirit, allowing them to reshape the world as they please through its immense power.
During a late night walk, Manta Oyamada runs into his classmate, the carefree You Asakura, who invites him to come stargazing with some friends, who, to Manta’s horror, turn out to be ghosts from a local cemetery! However, the knowledge that Manta possesses—a rare sixth sense that allows Manta to see these spirits—endears the boy to You. So when You finds out that his new comrade has been beaten up by a local gang, he decides to avenge him with the help of Amidamaru, a samurai ghost whose tomb was broken by the gang leader.
Soon Manta uncovers more about the world of spirits, including the Shaman Fight, in which his new friend You aims to claim victory.
Previous promos and key visuals: