Funimation revealed earlier this year a new co-production they’re involved in that’s set for 2021 on with Yomiuri-TV Enterprise LTD called Mars Red. The series is based on a dramatic stage reading from the playwright and theatre director Bun-O FUJISAWA and now an update has been revealed. YTV has created their programming page for it which confirms the cast and other details but also reveals an expanded story concept for the show you can see below.
The series will be directed by Kouhei Hatano, along with Junichi Fujisaku (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex) as writer, Karakarakemuri (Laughing Under the Clouds) as original character designer, Yukari Takeuchi (Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba) on character design and music from Toshiyuki Muranaka, who has worked with FUJISAWA for many years.
Code Zero’s members include:
- Junichi Suwabe as Yoshinobu Maeda – Captain of Code Zero and the “most powerful human”
- Tasuku Hatanaka as Shutaro Kurusu – A-class vampire and rookie on the squad
- Kenichi Suzumura as Suwa – A veteran vampire since the Edo era
- Akira Ishida as Takeuchi – D-class vampire and mad scientist with an immortal brain
- Tokuichi Yamagami – Smart vampire, not currently ranked
Plot Concept: The year is Taisho 12. They appear in Tokyo as night falls. Known as “Vampires,” they have lived there through the ages, hidden from the public eye, lurking in the shadows as they feed on the blood of the living. To oversee and regulate the vampires, the 16th Special Forces Unit, referred to as “Unit Zero,” was established within the army. It was founded by Lieutenant-General Nakajima to fight in the war of information against various remarkable major powers of the world. At present, however, Unit Zero serves to handle all vampire-related incidents occurring within the darkness of Tokyo.